Did You Know?
Rock County First News Releases
RCF believes a quality education leads to greater freedom and liberty for the student, and our community.
RCF would like to congratulate these 19 outstanding Rock County school districts and schools which scored an overall four or five star rating on the ‘22-’23 WI DPI annual report cards. The students and teachers in these districts and schools achieved above average scores and should be congratulated for the commitment to excellence!
Rock County property taxes are in the top 3% of all (3143) US counties, and are even higher than in Dane County property taxes, based on percentage of property value!
Financial freedom is less about financials and more about personal freedom
In Rock County, your property taxes are assessed by the county and Blackhawk Technical College, as well as your city/municipality and school district. It is your elected representatives who oversee these local governmental bodies and are responsible for setting their tax levies. This is what drives your individual property taxes. If you would like to speak to your local elected officials directly, you can find their contact information HERE.
Fair taxation has to take into account the citizen’s ability to pay the taxes, among other factors. Our local elected officials on county, municipal, and school district boards are entrusted to maintain FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY. Collectively, these boards have led to this high taxation issue in Rock County. So as a citizen, your role is to elected officials who will be focused on FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY and have proven so through action.
According to 2024 Tax-Rates.org, Rock County property tax comparison to the US:
- MEDIAN PROPERTY TAX: If Rock County median property taxes, as a percentage of median income, are 255th out of 3143 counties across the US, this puts Rock County property taxes in the TOP 8% in the US!
- PERCENTAGE OF INCOME: If Rock County property taxes, as a percentage of income, is 143 of 3143 counties across the US, this puts Rock County property taxes in the TOP 5% in the US!
- PERCENTAGE OF PROPERTY VALUE: If Rock County property taxes, as a percentage of property value, is 100th (1.96% of property’s assessed fair market value) out of 3143 counties across the US, this places Rock County property taxes in the TOP 3% in the US!
Rock County property tax vs Dane County:
- Rock County property taxes (1.96%) are even higher than Dane County (1.8%) property taxes, based on a percentage of property value!
To stay in the loop, sign up for RCF e-updates on our main page HERE.
Proposed 2024 Rock County Budget | Unsustainable
● Rock County is the 10th-largest county in the state yet has the highest property taxes, with a county average effective rate of 2.08% (Source: smartasset)
● Peer county comparisons demonstrate Rock County tax levy and mill rates are historically the highest of the group
● Rock County Administrator, Josh Smith, recently stated “using the General Fund to control the tax levy is unsustainable,” and is therefore is recommending to County Supervisors to decrease the proposed 2024 operating budget
● The proposed gross tax levy (without General Fund funds applied) is projected to increase by a whopping 12.2%/$9.0M in 2024! The average annual increase over the previous 5 years was only 2.25%.